Friday, February 27, 2009

January 2009
















The New Year for me was welcomed in on the road. Katherine, Devon and I were heading to GA to see Luke, home on leave and to meet his new son Raley. We followed Chris and Melissa to St. Louis. It took a lot to get David to agree to let me go on my own. It was quite a trip, but I really appreciate him agreeing to let me go. It was a great memory. I got to Memphis around noon on the 1st, picked up Bethany and Jonathan who were waiting there for me and headed right to Mississippi to Uncle Kevin's. We were having a family reunion. Katherine had a blast riding the horses. She stayed on them all afternoon. She wore Papaw and Aunt Bebe out by asking for ride after ride. Papaw took her for a canoe ride too. She loved that as well.

The next day we went to the Memphis New Years meeting. It has been at least 5 years since I was able to go. It was great to see everyone and get caught up. I spent the afternoon at Meredith Guess's house. The only drawback of the trip to Memphis is I missed seeing Joanna. It was very disappointing.

The next day, Saturday, we headed to GA. Dad drove one car, Thomas another and me the third. Three vehicles are hard to keep together going through Atlanta when only the lead car has any idea of where you are. We made it to the Thompson's around 6 o'clock. Sis. Laurie had a great dinner ready for us. Of course we all headed to see Raley first. As soon as I saw him and was able to hold him I said "David you better watch out!" It is amazing the maternal instincts you feel just holding a small bundle of joy. You forget all the sleepless nights and struggles and remember all the joys of motherhood.

The next few days were filled with waiting on Luke to call and tell us he was on his way home. We still had no definite arrival date. I took Katherine and Devon to Aunt Stephy's shop to have their hair cut for the first time by a professional. They did much better than I expected, of course it could have been the suckers Stephanie gave them. So smart. Stephanie was so busy with family getting hair cuts, I think we over whelmed her. She gave 10 haircuts/ highlights in one day! Makes me tired just thinking about it. We also made candy one day, or I should say Dad and Mom made candy. Katherine got to help. She loved it. This was the first trip to see my family that Katherine really took to Papaw. I think he was eating it up. It only took 3 years! It sure helped his cause when he took Katherine and Devon to the zoo. It truly was the highlight of the trip for my kids. Katherine and Devon were so fun to take. It is a true blessing to see the amazement on their faces as they see real animals that they have only seen in books. Katherine is still talking about it a month and a half later. Thank you Dad, you made a wonderful memory with your grand kids. That is so important when you live so far from them.

The "PLAN" didn't work out as any of us planned. The night before Luke was suppose to get home. Raley got sick and had to be admitted into the children's hospital. Luke was on communication blackout so there was no way to get hold of him. So Morgan met him at the airport and they went straight to the hospital where they stayed for the next 10 days. Raley had RSV, a kidney infection and a blood infection. I felt so bad for all of them, I know that is not where they had planned on spending their time together. So the last part of our visit was spent driving back and forth from the hospital, an hour away. We exchanged gifts in one of the conference rooms at the hospital. The nursing staff was really great and accommodating. It was such a blessing. It was wonderful to see Luke, you really take people for granted until they aren't around. I am so thankful the Lord has protected him thus far. Luke also told us he was going to be able to come home earlier than expected, he is coming home the middle part of May, Lord willing. He has promised to come see us this summer, so he better keep that promise, I am counting on it! :)

One of the afternoon's we all went bowling. It was the first time Katherine or Devon had been. They ate it up. Writing this I have realized how many "FIRSTS" the kids had on this trip. It is sad David wasn't there to witness them. Sorry Honey! :( The kids got a better score than I did! It was a little embarrassing.

So after 2 weeks we headed home. We stopped in AR for a day to break up the trip. Katherine and Aaron got to spend the day together. Aaron brought his Thomas the tank engine trains and was kind enough to share them with Katherine. Although he kept a pretty close watch on them. :) The trip home the next day was uneventful. The kids did a great job traveling, thank God for DVD players! It was a wonderful trip, but I was so ready to see my sweetheart again. David said we should plan to be apart more often it just makes the reunion the sweeter. I have to agree, but I hope it isn't any time soon!

So long!

1 comment:

Rebekah Sacran said...

That is so funny the kids did better than you at bowling. I have been wanting to take the girls but I think I will wait until Eily can walk so that she can enjoy it to. That really should be within the next 2-4 months.

I'm so glad that you got to see Luke and hold Raley while he was so young. I hated that most of my family missed that with Elaina and Claire.

We miss you down here.